Sunday, July 11, 2010

Pain Pain Go Away

June 18, 2003 came and my little peanut, Zachary Cole was born.  I don't remember how many migraines I ended up dealing with throughout my pregnancy.  Back in those days I didn't think of it as any big deal.  I thought for sure they'd stop once I delivered my son.  I didn't know to keep logs of when they occured or possible triggers.  What I do know, is that they were not nearly as frequent as they were to become in later years.  I felt they were fairly disabling when they did occur, but I settled for OTC pain medication, went to sleep and felt ok after I woke up...maybe just "a little out of it."   The debilitating part for me wasn't necessarily the pain, it was the accompanying symptoms of photosensitivity, phonosensitivity, nausea, vomiting, numbness in my lips and hands, slurred speech and the total confusion.  My ex-husband was not very patient with me during those times.  Especially when I was unable to spit out what I wanted to say!  To this day (we share custody of our boys and are still friends) he gets annoyed talking to me!  He says I mix up my words and don't make sense alot of the time.  Actually, everyone tells me that!  My mother or sister can call and always know whether I am in the midst of a migraine or am getting over one as my speech is often slow and slurred.  And to look at me one can sometimes tell as generally my left eye dilates during a migraine.  Although, these days it dilates even with my Chronic Daily Headaches.  After quite some time of self-treating my migraines, I made an appointment with my primary care physician.  After he took my medical history, he diagnosed me with Basilar Migraines and again referred me back to Dr. S.  Now that Neuro never did say whether or not he agreed or disagreed with the Basilar Migraine diagnosis.  He performed an EEG and prescribed me Relpax as a migraine abortive (which is contraindicated in Basilar Migraines, as all triptans are), and Topamax as a migraine preventative.



No comments: