Saturday, October 23, 2010

Happy Birthday, Brendan

12 years ago yesterday, I gave birth to an 8lb 8oz little boy, whom I named Brendan Michael.  He has exceeded my expectations as a son and taught me so much.  I was a very young mother, age 21, when I had him.  While all my friends were away at college and out partying, I was home, breastfeeding an infant and changing diapers.  While I wasn't planning on becoming pregnant at such a young age, I wouldn't change a thing.  Brendan and I have practically grown up together.  We are the best of buds.  It is because of him that I went back to college and have strived to be successful in my life.  Not only do I wish to provide my sons with all that is possible...I also want to teach them the importance of education, hard work and dedication.  Brendan is sweet, loving and extremely understanding.  When I am ill and bedridden with pain, he is the first to get me a drink, or cover me with a blanket, or get me an icepack.  At 12, one would think a boy would be moody and standoffish...not my Brendan.  He still holds my hand, cuddles with me and even allows me to hug and kiss him in front of school...even if he is embarassed, he humors me.  He is an excellent big brother to Zachary.  He is very patient and tolerable...even when Zachary is being pesky and taking his stuff.  He comforts his brother if he is scared...and while I am away and they are at daddy's for the weekend, is sure to be a little man and take care of his brother.  He is in his first year at middle school and I couldn't be bursting with any more pride than I already am.  He is so far getting straight A's (except in Advanced Math...) and is making numerous new friends.  He enjoys art, surfing and running and hopes to join the middle school track team.  He is also the "class clown"...always joking and trying to play tricks on people...especially me.  So this post is to say I LOVE YOU, BRENDAN more than life itself.  One never knows true love until you have a child...whichever way they come into your life (and heart).

3 comments:

WinnyNinny PooPoo said...

Happy birthday Brendan!!! Seems like you are well on the way to becoming a well balanced young man!!!

S.I.F. said...

This is beautiful Jessica, and your son is too! Happy birthday Brendan!

Migrainista said...

Happy birthday indeed! You are one lucky woman!