Friday, January 13, 2012

Stream of Consciousness

I feel like I have fallen off the face of the earth.

At least the Blogoshpere.

It's been busy around these parts...and when I'm not busy...I'm too lazy to write. Like turning on the laptop and tapping out a few words on the keyword is really some physically demanding task. I just haven't felt like actually thinking though.

I am close to my 3 month evaluation at my new job. So far, it's been pretty good. There is a steep learning curve.  I have found myself in some less than ideal situations...but I seem to manage to pull myself out. Even when one of those times was in a patient's house, with her husband screaming in my face, and me bursting into uncontrollable sobbing.

I have learned alot about death and dying.  Maybe not something many people actually want to learn about...but we all gotta do it someday, so why not know all we can about the process?  It can actually be beautiful and peaceful.  When family is surrounding the bed, praying, singing, holding the hands of their loves ones as they take their last can actually be quite serene. I hope when it is my time to's how I have witnessed death these past few weeks.  It's beginning to bring out my spiritual side.  I grew up Catholic...even went to Catholic school, but as an adult...I have lost my way to church.  I think maybe, just maybe, I am finding my way back.

Before, during and after the holidays has been a bit stressful on the family front.  First, as I mentioned previously, my Mom had emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction.  The tumor they removed was benign, and the six inches of small intestine that was removed showed significant damage apparantly due to Crohn's Disease.  She is adjusting well to her medications, and actually went back to work in the Emergency Room last night. The week before Christmas, my Mom's boyfriend of the past 10 years, had a heart attack on his way to the hospital (He is an ER physician), and ended up having open heart surgery with a 5 way bypass.  He had a few set backs which landed him back in the ICU, but is now well on his way to recovery.  Last but not least is my darling, Jesse. He has had a growth on the cornea of his left eye for years.  Due mostly to spending alot of time out in the sun, on the boat, and being exposed to the elements.  After a routine eye exam, our doctor told us it was starting to grow onto the pupil, which eventually could affect his vision. So yesterday he had surgery. What was supposed to be a 45 minute procedure turned into an hour and 45 minute procedure.  During the surgery, his cornea perforated and they had to call in yet another surgeon.  He had his bandages removed this morning, has lots of glue and sutures holding his eyeball together and is doing good.  His eye looks gross and is seeping all kinds of goo...but he is out of the pain he was having last night, and the surgeon says he will be back to his perfect 20/20 vision in no time.

Whew...that was a mouthful!!! 

As far as my health is concerned...I am status quo.  Some days are good, some days suck.  You know how it is.  I am currently still taking Cambia, Lortab and Fioricet as needed.  Not all together of course.  I switch it up so I do not build up too much of a tolerance to one med. I also take "med holidays", as my Neuro and I call it to avoid rebound headaches.  I am not always successful.  I also take Verapamil, Flexeril, Magnesium, Riboflavin and a few other supplements for good measure.  That's alot of drugs when you write it down. Don't judge! 

I am going to pursue Acupuncture again. My Neuro recommended someone I want to try.  I'll let ya all know how it goes.  I was going to Myofascial Release sessions regularly before the holidays, but the therapist flaked out on me and kept cancelling. I don't have the time or patience for that buh bye.

I was in line at the pharmacy this evening, when the lady in front of me was crying because she could not afford her mother's Coumadin presecription.  So I bought it for her.  Yup...I think I sprouted wings and a halo.  Seriously felt good to help out.  I HATE our healthcare system and it is heartbreaking when people can't take their meds because they cannot afford them.

We are getting excited about our upcoming trip to Alaska.  It isn't until May...but time is flying.  We booked a hotel in Seatlle for 2 days before the cruise and for 4 days after the cruise.  I can't wait to eat at all the food carts!

And last but not least...I'll  leave you with a couple holiday photos.  We had a great time and I am so thankful for all we have!

Some of their loot on Christmas morning...Stereo skateboards, Playstation 3 and a Lava lamp.  Yup...they actually asked for a lava lamp!

My love and I on Christmas Eve at my Mom's house. She had a gorgeous real 10 ft. tree!


Heather and Kathy said...

I am glad you are doing okay. I hope that Jesse will heal very quickly and have his eyesight back really soon.

I would love to go to Alaska someday. That is on my list of places to go. Have a wonderful time!


Della said...

It's good to see you around! Your family sure has been through the wringer. Hope Jesse's eye heals quickly, and everything will be okay. Have fun in Alaska. You know it's still cold there in March, right?

Jessica said...

I hear it's still going to be cold! Not sure how I'm gonna handle that since it's only 60 degrees here now and I'm FREEZING!!! I better get some warmer clothes! Good excuse to shop! =)

Heather said...

My mom is an oncology nurse and she feels the same way about death and says how it can be peaceful and she appreciates being there to experience that and give those who are dying and their families comfort. I don't think I could do it without crying, but it sounds like you're made to do it! I'm glad you're finding your way back to church. God is so good, and having a church family is a wonderful thing!

If you haven't been to Seattle, you will LOVE it! My husband and I went there for our 5-year anniversary, and we wanted to move there we liked it so much. Of course we went the one dry month, so it might be different in May.