Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Emotions Running High

I don't even know where to begin explaining this past month.  It's been a whirlwind.  Overwhelming, frustrating, scary, exciting, emotional, stressful...

First off, I started my new job on October 31st.  For 3 weeks I sat in orientation and computer classes.  It is ALOT and I am in a little over my head.  But everyone I've spoken to said they all felt that way in the beginning.  It's just such a huge change for me.

This past weekend I got to finally see patients.  It was great, but definately different.  I'm still not 100% clear what my responsibilities are, but I am with a preceptor out in the field for 6 weeks. 

Tomorrow, I go back to babyland for the day.  I have mixed feelings about it.  I want to be home for the holiday with my family, and I don't really want to work a 12 hour shift...but I am looking forward to seeing my L&D girls and I'll be getting quite a nice paycheck for being there...which I need for Christmas shopping!

So, aside from my busy work schedule this month, it's been a rough couple of weeks healthwise...and not mine.  Unfortunately my mom had emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction...which resulted in the removal of a tumor, 6 inches of her small intestine and a bowel resection.  We are still waiting on the pathology results of the specimens, so prayers for a good outcome are appreciated.  She finally got to come home on Monday after a couple of unexpected setbacks, so that is what I am thankful for this Thanksgiving.

Happy Turkey Day to you all!!!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I hope all the tests come back negative for your mom! thank goodness she is home!

I hope the new job works wonders for you!

Happy thanksgiving!!!


Heather

Della said...

I hope things start looking up for you and your family. Good luck on the new job, and bummer you won't be home for Thanksgiving :(
Best wishes to your mom! I hope she recovers, and all is well with her!

Happy Thanksgiving Jessica!

S.I.F. said...

Oh my Jessica! Definitely thinking of you, your mom, and your entire family! I hope you guys still had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

WinnyNinny PooPoo said...

Jessica, so sorry to hear about your Mom. Hoping the pathology was OK. Mine had the same issue w/colorectal cancer - lost 3 feet of her large intestine, but bounced back! If she had been 30 years younger she would have had chemo as a preventative.

Hoping your caseworker gig is working out. Your compassion will be a great asset to any position you work! Hope your 2012 is a better year.